30 Second Guide to Australian Permit Requirements for Promotions

If you are planning a national or localised consumer promotion in Australia you may be wondering “Do I need a Competition Permit in Australia?” This quick guide will help you to understand if you are required to obtain a trade lottery permit for your competition or promotion. 

Trade lottery regulations are specific to each state, the following is a quick guide of your requirements for Australian competition permits.

Understanding Contest Types

There are two types of contests / promotions:

  • Test of Skill - e.g. ‘In 25 words or less Tell us why you should Win..’
  • Games of Chance – e.g. Instant Win, Prize Pool Sweepstakes.

Your requirements for ‘Test Of Skill’ promotions

You do not require a competition permit to conduct a test of skill promotion if there is no element of chance involved in winning. However you must ensure that:

- All entries are judged individually on their merit.

- One Winner is chosen at a judge’s decision based on skill or originality. Please note that you cannot run a test of skill promotion where entrants can potentially submit the same answer or result. E.g. ‘Who won the 2007 Rugby World Cup?’

Requirements For Game Of Chance…

Permits for games of chance are not required in Tasmania, Queensland or Western Australia.

You do require a permit if the promotion is running in the Australian Capital Territory (A.C.T), New South Wales, or Northern Territory. 

Permits are required in Victoria and South Australia if the prize pool is over $5000. In these states a company cannot legally advertise a game of chance without a permit. 

‘Instant Win’ promotions in South Australia have specific conditions too (SAM can elaborate on these as needed). 

You must also publish the names of competition winners on a website or in the relevant localised or state based newspaper. For national promotions, winners can be announced in ‘The Australian’ newspaper. Permit fees and administration costs are based on the total prize pool and promotional mechanics. 

More on information on Australian Competition Permits

Need help with competition permits in Australia?

SAM can help you apply for permits (provided that you have an ABN). We also have on file Victorian Police check certification which is mandatory for Victorian applications.

We’ve been helping people get their trade promotion licence in Australia since 1981.

SAM have assisted corporations, independents, advertising agencies and specialist marketing firms to apply for competition permits. In cases where a promotion or competition requires additional permits from state and territory authorities you can trust SAM to guide you through the process.

SAM can also assist marketers with any, or all of the following:

  • Writing Terms and Conditions of Entry
  • Obtaining permits for competitions and promotions
  • Promotion Creative (SAM has a state of the art graphic design studio)
  • Point of Sale Display development, production & distribution
  • Event permits in Australia
  • Instant Win competitions
  • Catalogue production
  • On Pack Promotions
  • Trade Promotion in Australia
  • Competition Websites and SMS lines to collect entry data
  • Database Management (data is assigned to client at conclusion of the promotion)
  • Prize Draws & Draw Scrutineering
  • Public Notices

Please feel free to contact us for more information or free advice on lottery regulation in Australia. The friendly staff from SAM Sales and Marketing are available any time.

Peter McKinnon - peter@samsales.com.au  / (03) 9 646 5644.